Web Toolbar by Wibiya Bears and Bullets: David Bowie - Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy)

Thursday, October 10, 2013

David Bowie - Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy)


Included in re-release of The Next Day, David Bowie's most recent album, will be a special, previously unreleased mix from none other than James Murphy.

The track, officially dubbed the "Hello Steve Reich Mix" of "Love Is Lost," was worked on when Bowie and Murphy joined forces for Arcade Fire's single "Reflektor," of which Murphy produced. Murphy explained why Steve Reich was the influence for the re-worked track to Consequence Of Sound;

“I was obsessed with Steve Reich’s clapping music, so I opened [the remix] with a phasing clapping piece,” he says. “I had a couple people. I had Hisham Bharoocha, who’s this percussionist-artist. He used to be in Black Dice and he’s done stuff with the Boredoms and he’s a friend of mine. So he was in town and I hadn’t seen him. He was doing this [piece] over at the Gallery where he was smashing up a room with some other percussionist-artists and I hadn’t seen him in a long time, so I literally just wanted an opportunity to hang out with my friend and work on something (laughs) since I’m always working and they’re always working. Sometimes you just have to be, 'let’s do this thing together,' so I had him come over and we just made this little clapping, phasing clapping piece, that began the track. It was originally going to be the whole remix, just clapping.”

The track formally premiered earlier today on Shaun Keaveny's BBC Radio 6 show, but is available to stream now below.

The three-disc reissue of The Next Day will be released November 5.

No comments: