Web Toolbar by Wibiya Bears and Bullets: My Top Ten Lollapalooza Performances (Continued)

Friday, August 8, 2008

My Top Ten Lollapalooza Performances (Continued)

Number Seven: Broken Social Scene

I feel a little guilty putting Broken Social Scene here because I only actually caught the latter half of their show (I was meeting Jamie Lidell). But for the limited time I actually was there, I was astounded with the sonic breach of their sound. The band (which I can assume is in the high teens of members) played like one the festival's top billing acts and never failed to inspire the sheer adoration that they deserve. Horns and energy!


Number Six: Jamie Lidell

Like Broken Social Scene, Jamie Lidell was a case of only catching the last half of a show, but still being astounded. But unlike Broken Social Scene, who's band is all encompassing, Jamie provided the show (with a backing band) nearly all on his own. Full of showmanship and admiration, Lidell gave the audience a sheer jolt that only a few other artists that weekend did. He strutted the stage in his no shirt, blazer look, sang without backing music, and let the crowd join in on the fun.


Hell, I liked the show so much that I took it upon myself to meet him afterwards.


Number Five: The Raconteurs

Jack White, Brendan Benson, Jack Lawrence, and Patrick Keeler make up The Raconteurs, who are apparently (Jack White said) from "Nashville Tennesee." We all know he's from Detroit, but why argue? He's awesome. I've heard good things about White's stage presence before, but man did he blow me away. The improvisational skills, coupled with his antics and charisma make him modern rock hero. Not to mention the rest of the band themselves. On a day where Radiohead dominated, The Raconteurs almost made it a close call. Almost.


Number Four: Gogol Bordello



It was a tough choice to decide who to see Friday between 4:15 and 5:15. Gogol Bordello or the Black Keys? While my friends chose the Black Keys (mostly in part because of the Raconteurs playing at the same stage an hour later) I instead voted to spend my time at Gogol Bordello. And all the while the Black Keys were apparently still good, Gogol Bordello may have blown them away (if you remember The Kills at number eight on this list, then take note that my friends thought that they were better than the Black Keys too). I've heard his live shows were intense, but I was astounded. The deafening energy and stamina of Eugene Hutz and Co. made me an instant fan, and I'll be more than sure to check them out again whenever they stroll around my town.


To be continued ...

No comments: