Web Toolbar by Wibiya Bears and Bullets: Day Six: Santogold

Friday, July 25, 2008

Day Six: Santogold

To the relatively unaware, Santogold appears to be the American rendition of M.I.A. (even to myself, at first impression), but unlike the English via-Sri Lanka Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam, Santi White had only hit the music scene with her eponymous debut earlier this year - contrary to M.I.A hitting the world in 2002. The Philadelphia born White garnered favorable fan-fare with her album release, receiving praise from Spin Magazine, Rolling Stone, and Pitchfork (the patterns of praise are really seeming obvious now), and her upward spiral of popularity continued with M.I.A.'s. Even more fittingly, the two actually toured together as well.

The two strike the similar cord's with their close-knit likeness using heavy backgrounds of rave, synth, and electronica and uniquely authentic vocal qualities. But to be fair to White, M.I.A. is heavily influenced by political meaning, contrary to Santogold's sheer alternative idealism's, using more likenesses to the styles of New Wave, Reggae, and Art Rock.

Anyway, the point seems more fitting when the reader simply likes M.I.A. So, if you like "Maya" you'll like Santi too. And especially for myself, I look forward to watching her next week.

Santogold's songs are easily recognizable - using her singles 'L.E.S. Artistes' and 'Creator' in Budweiser ads, EA Sports video games, and the most well-known, her work for Converse. Check out the video here, co working with N.E.R.D and Julian Casablancas in the song 'My Drive Thru.'





Personally though, 'L.E.S. Artistes' may do her more justice.


No comments: